Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Doing what Malaysians do best...

Tonight Mandie, Koiter & I went to dinner with some lovely Malaysian friends. They call the meal 'buka puasa' (that may or may not be how it's spelled) which means 'break fast'. It's the Islamic month of Ramadan in which they fast every day between sunrise and sunset, so this meal is breaking that daily fast. It's a time to celebrate God, friends, family & share together - even with people of other faiths (like us!) or no faith.

Lana invited us around to her place, so we whipped up a bit of food and took it to share. There were yummy soups and noodles.. couscous.. idli.. raya cookies.. Devina even made beautiful masala chai.

Great night hanging out together!

I don't have any pics from it to share, sadly, but I have just been flicking back through shots of fun food times when I was in Malaysia earlier in the year - mmmmmmmmm...

murtabak!

blue rice

bbq pork, noodles, seafoody soups I think.. and coconut water!

durian feast - such a weird, rich fruit

look at those great mugs of teh tarik

*sigh*

No comments:

Post a Comment