Sunday, August 14, 2011

Amazing Jane


We spontaneously went and watched the new Jane Eyre movie tonight. I'm so glad we did.
It is really beautifully done, and superbly acted, particularly by Mia Wasikowska. She did such a brilliant job of being collected and reserved but still expressing reams of emotion - all the torment she's going through underneath - which sounds impossible, but she did it.

And I just really admire the character, for the way she did what she believed to be right; held to it though every heartstring was pulling another way. So delicate but so strong.

I was also reflecting on how the ending at first glance could be considered trite, because *spoiler alert* they got together after all. But it's actually not trite, (I don't think) because you realise all that they have been through to be able to reach that point, and all that's been sacrificed. So in that sense it's far from being just a happy ending. It is happy, but bittersweet. Real, maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment