"But I still wear it sooommetimes, I swear.."
"It's a bit stretched/stained/doesn't really fit anymore but I might still want to wear it!"
And it's not just clothes. The underneath of my bed is piled full and trickling out with all of the lecture notes and books from all of the 3 years I've been at uni, because I might want to look at them someday. And the notes from the diploma I did before that.
Plus old journals, stuffed toys I can't be bothered to have on my bed but feel sentimental about, cd cases, random bits of paper about goodness-only-knows-what, old photo frames I don't have a place for, odd socks, spare folders and toenails (ok hopefully not the last one, that was just being creative).
There's a stack of books a foot high beside my bed (and more on my bedside table) which are there because I might happen to want to read all of them before I go to bed.
Crispy dried flowers, dusty cards, shiny rocks, blue glass, seashells, odd earrings..... I'm sure you've gotten my drift by now!
Why do I keep all this crap? I know some of it is useful, and some of it's a bit too special to let go of just yet, but a lot of it I will probably never look at or use again.
I think part of it is that I love the memories this kind of stuff can bring back. I love to tell the story of my life piece by tiny, obscure piece. I love to remember where we went, what we did, how it felt.
I like to be prepared, (in control?) so I keep things 'just in case'.
I'm attached to stuff?
I'm just plain lazy?
To tell you the truth, I'm not even sure of the whole answer. But I'd like to get just a leetle bit better at chucking out stuff. Cos I actually like things being clean and tidy and less crap-filled.
And being able to put all my washing away.
Maybe tomorrow.
No comments:
Post a Comment