Monday, October 10, 2011

The African at the Bus Stop

On Saturday night I met an African man at the bus stop (or he introduced himself to me, rather).
He was only a little annoyed to hear he'd missed his bus, and soon launched into conversation, asking what I studied and why, and what Social Work had to do with being sociable, and that I should go and be sociable with his family because they needed help learning english! At first I thought he was drunk (speaking slowly and stumbling a little, leaning towards me.. but soon I figured he was just African, and ESL).

I was more than a little skeptical of him at first (what girl is not skeptical of a guy that randomly comes up and starts talking to her. at a bus stop. at night. ?). But he said he had a family, so that was a good start. He went on to say that his family had just come over to Australia from a refugee camp in Africa and been reunited with him - it was more than 10 years since they'd been able to live together! They were Congolese refugees, and he had been living and working in Kenya while trying to get visas for Australia.. and that's just how long it takes. He'd been here for about a year before they were able to follow him.

He told me that it was all written up in an 11-page story in the Newcastle Herald, which I could search for online. He also told me that as well as studying he was working for some group called Alliance for Peace and they are making a trip over to Africa (maybe Kenya?) in January to help communities over there and that I should go with them and help.

He gave me his number and email and told me I should look up the article online and depending on what I thought, to comment on it or email him.. and maybe I would decide to come and visit his family.

Finally he asked me what struck me most about my conversation with him. I was a bit taken aback, but had to admit that the first thing that came to mind was that he didn't ask for my number! And next, thinking about what he and his family had gone through to get here..
He offered his impressions of me, and then he was off!

I still wasn't quite sure what to make of it all, until just now when I pulled out the bus ticket with his details on and looked up the article:

http://www.theherald.com.au/news/local/news/news-features/out-of-africa-in-to-newcastle/2271776.aspx?storypage=0

My gosh, it's such a beautiful story I nearly cried.
You should read it.



Maybe I will go and 'be sociable' with them after all..

2 comments:

  1. I wouldn't be suprised if he'd met pretty much everyone on campus, he's so friendly!!

    ReplyDelete