Tuesday, March 1, 2011

10 Ways to Entertain (or frustrate, annoy) the Natives


I am in fact guilty of most of these..

1. White girl carrying 5 massive wool blankets down crowded Kolkatan streets.

2. Getting stuck in a salwar top evidently made for much smaller Indian women.

3. Sniffing leaf-wrapped breath-fresheners in a fancy restaurant (for some reason the other guests found it particularly hilarious)

4. Ordering more bread and not eating your rice (seriously, who does that?)

5. Saving the throwaway clay cups from a chai stall.. and bringing them off the street into a cafe.

6. Arguing for ages with taxi/rickshaw drivers.. and then walking off mid-bargain

7. Three white women waltzing into a muslim eatery.. and realising after sitting down and ordering that 100% of the clientele was male.

8. Language issues: "what is it?"
"5 rupees"
"no, what's in it?"
"5 rupees"
is there cream?"
"No, 5"
arrggghhh.

9. Getting lost in the quiet backstreets of outer suburbs.. finishing up with the road ending in someone's backyard bathing area.

10. Insist on trying to save (resurrect) a dying puffer fish (spiny, useless, poisonous) that fishermen had thrown up on the beach ("are you going to eat it?" "no" "well you should throw it back if you're not going to eat it").. and standing in the water for half an hour stopping it from floating back in, when it was obviously dead [this was NOT me].


I'm sure there was more, but that's all for now!

In other news, I've been back in oz for 10 days or so now, trying to settle back into Newie, a new house, get my feet back on the ground etc etc.
People are great, my course/s look promising, sweet beaches - all in all I think it's shaping up to be a pretty good semester, as far as they go.

AND I JOINED A QUIDDITCH CLUB. woot!

No comments:

Post a Comment