Saturday, December 11, 2010

holiday reading

Books books books (the ones I've read already these hols are bolded)

Harry Potter 5, 6 & 7 (yes, I've been suffering withdrawals since last year's HP 9-day-7-book Challenge)
River Town (fascinating book about a guy's couple of years in a backwater chinese town, I should write a whole post just on it)
Cry, the Beloved Country - Alan Paton
In Patagonia - Bruce Chatwin
Fire & Hemlock - Diana Wynne Jones
The Book of Lights - Chaim Potok
El Leon, la Bruja y el Ropero - CS Lewis
The Silmarilion - JRR Tolkien
.....and finish War & Peace!

Any recommendations?

3 comments:

  1. I'm reading Jack London the call of the wild and Neil Gaimon's more adult version of the smith of wooton major ;) 'Stardust' I also just finished DWJ Fire and Hemlock and A sudden wild magic. She makes me smile I wish she would write fifty more before she dies!!!

    I love the Silmarillion!!!!

    Would like to have a go at the book of lights when you finish :)

    Also my bro bought me a kobo ereader for christmas so I have endless free classics to download and read - oooo greedy reading times for meeeeeeeeeee!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh! I remember loving the Call of the Wild - should defo read it again. Reread Fire & Hemlock the other day and really enjoyed it.. except for the ending - didn't like the sort of uncle-ish relationship being turned into a romantic one :P
    hehe, I'm so going to get distracted from my list. I got given City of joy & Les Miserables for Christmas and picked up a few books from koorong (have you read the Authentic Lewis? Enjoying it soo much.)

    ooh that's exciting about the ereader! what's the ereading experience like? I must admit am somewhat sceptical of its enjoyability

    ReplyDelete
  3. ..just googled Neil Gaimon. I remember thinking the movie Stardust was rather bad. But the book is good?

    ReplyDelete