Thursday, February 25, 2010

Stuff I miss about Mexico

Language - trying to decipher it, picking up different accents, attempting to communicate.
slang - de que lado masca la iguana (that's the side the iguana chews?? or something untranslateable, =the way it's done), la tira (the cops), tira la esquina ( throw a corner =give a break/give me a break?), codo (elbow, =stingy), fresa (strawberry =snobby, upperclass), que onda? (what's up?), padre (cool), no manches! (no stains, I think? =no way!), hijole! (no way, that sucks *can be more vehement depending on context), orale (ok/there you go/wow/sounds great), lana (wool, =money), cuate (fraternal twin, =friend, mate), chile mole pozole (the whole lot/mix), que la cancion (bother, you're/it's such a nuisance)..........
that's all I can remember for the moment!
little street stalls
little shops that all sell the same thing (bikkies, chips, lollies, drinks) but are very handy when you´re thirsty
the way everyone hangs out in the plazas/zocalos/town squares.. especially at night.
mamey (rough brown-skinned fruit which is bright red inside and tastes so rich, smooth, sweet and creamy)
the best papaya
salsa with everything
fresh corn tortillas with everything (especially if they´re handmade)
copious amounts of drinking yogurt
various exciting mexican dishes, like pollo poblano and mole verde and tasty asadas (barbequed meat)
piles of culture - indigenous people in their many different traditional dresses, speaking their many different tongues
piles of ruins dug out of the sand/jungle/desert
people I met, friends I stayed with...
nicknamers and the nicknames (you know who you are!)

1 comment:

  1. heheh, this post made me want a tortilla! and the slang seems completely indecipherable to me, but i guess english slang is the same. :P

    ReplyDelete