I love San Cristobal de Las Casas. It is the loveliest little colonial town ever, set up in the mountains of Chiapas state. It´s so colourful and full of life.
I want to tell you about this guy I met this morning...
I went into the church in the main plaza, and sat down at the back to enjoy the peace and quiet. Next second, this mild-looking, middle-aged guy with a folder and newspaper comes up and asks if I believe in God. I say yes. He said that someone (I didn´t understand who) told him that he had 7 evil spirits in him. Then he started telling me how he see things and feels things that other people don´t, that he can tell when people are going to die, and sometimes sees accidents before they happen. He got quite emotional, nearly bursting into tears.
He asked if I wanted to know what age I was going to live to. I said no. He told me anyway. He kept asking if I believed him..I was like ´maybe, I don´t know.´I tried to say that it seemed real for him, that he believed in himself, but I couldn´t quite work out how to say it.
Then he hands me this love song that he said he wrote, and showed me a folder full of certificates and stuff to do with music. He made me read his resume - I didn´t catch much of it.
Then he asks if I believe in love at first sight.
And I say to myself ´oh crap, here we go again...´
On he went.. I ended up saying that I had a boyfriend, I couldn´t tell him who I was or where I lived, and that I had to go. Times like these I wish I´d just looked blank and said ´no hablo español´or ´no entiendo´at the start!
Anyway, I turned my back on his ever more miserable and desperate face and off I went, still holding his resume which he wouldn´t take back. ´If your boyfriend ever leaves you...´
Funny. Didn´t expect that in a church.
No comments:
Post a Comment